Monday, November 8, 2010

DJ Purp Interviews LeMatiq

So it's time for our first interview here at Purps Place, and for our first one we interviewed Dancer/Choreographer/Producer/Poet LeMatiq out of Chicago.

DJ Purp: So tell everyone a little bit about yourself
LeMatiq:Hello everyone, I'm Lematiq (La-maa-tick). I am a dancer, a music producer, & a poet - I love creating! Hip-hop, Pop, R&B, & Gospel Rap is what I mostly produce music for.

DJ Purp: How old are you and where are you from?
LeMatiq: I just turned 25 on November 6th, 2010..I was born in Chicago, Illinois & raised in Pasadena, California

DJ Purp: How did you get your start in Dancing as well as Music?
LeMatiq: Well, I've been dancing since I was able to walk lol, but i never took it seriously until I started doing music seriously (around 2003). It was always just something i loved to do. I didn't realize how powerful, effective & universal dance is until later on in my life. I started performing dance officially in my church as a hip-hop praise dancer. That's when I got revelation that dance can send a message just as much as lyrics & music! I've always into music also, but didn't really turn the "hobby" into a desired career until I graduated high school in 2003. I used to emulate tracks by beat-boxing all the time & my parents always played music & i always loved listening, singing along & dancing to it. In high school i started writing poetry prolifically, & I used to carry special markers/pens to beat on desks & walls making "percussive" live beats LOL..my peers would rap freestyle & dance around, it was fun! After I got out of high school I got my first drum machines & later on a computer that was given to me, & that's when I started making beats; chopping samples & downloading whatever sounds i could get free, & just piece stuff together. And I've always loved the raw, dirty-sounding, melodic, smooth & groovy type of beats/music.

DJ Purp:  Do you have any projects in the works?
LeMatiq: At the moment I am currently working on a Christian Rap mixtape & album with one of my proteges (Yung Inspiration or Y.I.) I am making beats for selling online & creating some tracks for specific people that I've networked with online. I do my own rap & dance songs every once in while (whenever God gives me something) but I keep those to the side; I'm not trying to come out as a rapping dancer (at least not now). On the dancing/choreography side, I'm looking to throw a big dance concert in tribute, to the late Michael Jackson, sometime around the summer of 2012, & I'm gathering ideas, resources, & finances for that..& eventually I wanna get into making short videos with positive messages that incorporating dance & other artistic expressions.

DJ Purp:  Where can our viewers check you out and contact you?
LeMatiq: They can check me out on my official website - Lematiq.com. And that site has links to all of my social network pages (FaceBook, YouTube, etc.) & my cell phone is 626-487-3757

DJ Purp:  Do you have any advice for any dancers looking to get started and get their foot in the door?
LeMatiq: Um...its kind of hard to say since I incorporate dance into other things that I do & have a different approach. I don't mind dancing background in videos & movies or choreographing routines for others & , you know, your typical dance gig stuff lol...but I treat my dancing like a singer or rapper treats their music, I wanna expose it, get it out there..Just like they wanna be heard, I wanna be seen! I would say perform as much as you can - even for events that you think might be insignificant (you never know who may be watching you). If you're a dancer who can choreograph, have routines ready that you can teach or perform. Um..if you can try to incorporate something different into your dance presentation, like..mix it with poetry or do real videos, or something besides just dancing a routine to the newest hot song on YouTube, that's what i try to do. And network, tell everybody what you do & what you're trying to do. Make yourself some business cards that you can hand out when you meet people &/or perform, & this may be cliche, but always stay positive!

DJ Purp: Also do you have any advice for any Producers out there?
LeMatiq: I can't really say much yet, but I will say: Always try to learn more, whether it's technical techniques, different things you can do with your software, different types of music, etc. Always try to keep music in your ear, (if you don't) & pay attention to the music in everything (like music in a commercial, music playing in a restaurant, background music, everything!) That's how you see how music is used in different settings or occasions & you can get ideas from other types of music other than what you compose. Always network & find who needs music for something (artists, other producers, companies, etc.) Keep in mind that your production doesn't always have to be used on a song or someone's album/mixtape; music is an artistic backbone that's used in everything (movies, commercials, presentations, short films & documentaries, slide-shows, video games, websites, TV shows, spoken-word performances, phone apps, etc.) Try to make the best music possible!

DJ Purp: Do you have anything else you would like to say to the viewers out there?
LeMatiq: I just wanna say God bless everybody, God is Love, & always remained focused on your purpose & goals...speak & think positive, because death & life are in the power of your tongue (Holy Bible - Proverbs 18:21) & whatever a man thinks he is in his heart, that's what he is (Holy Bible - Proverbs 23:7)!

DJ Purp: Last but not least, I have to ask this lol, What do you think of Purp's Place?
LeMatiq: I think it's great & it will only become greater ;^)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment